We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
You are pregnant ! After the first moments of joy, you are already wondering: who will take care of you during these nine months? Gynecologist-obstetrician or midwife? In fact, everything depends on the structure in which you wish to give birth and also on your state of health.
THE WISE WOMAN
If your pregnancy does not pose a specific health problem, you may be followed by a midwife.
Know more about midwifery
- In this medical profession, there are around 15,000 women in France (including men). To become a midwife, you have to pass a entrance examination, followed by four years of study during which lectures and practical work alternate with internships at the hospital. Not to mention the psychological dimension: in the first year, the future midwives learn to listen and talk with the pregnant woman (which is not always the case for doctors), and practice childbirth.
- Unfortunately, their number is insufficient, even if, paradoxically, they are more and more solicited in the maternity hospitals where they do a great job, despite demanding schedules with guards of twenty-four hours.
The role of the midwife during pregnancy?
- You review and monitor your general condition: blood pressure, urinary albumin, weight monitoring, prescription and interpretation of three ultrasounds at approximately 12, 22 and 32 weeks of amenorrhea, and prescribing for drugs related to your pregnancy.
- Achieve a complete gynecological examination in order to detect any changes in the cervix and therefore possible risk of premature delivery, genital infection or any other problem.
- Animate preparation courses at delivery. At any time, 24 hours a day, in case of anxiety, you can call or go to the emergency room at the hospital or clinic and ask to see the midwife.
- To remedy the little worries of pregnancy (heavy legs, nausea, cramps, etc.), prescribe medications and give advice that doctors do not necessarily think (food guide, exercise ...). Midwives listen attentively to the small and big problems of pregnancy. Their accompaniment is ideal for women who need to feel listened to and who do not want a childbirth too medicalized. Their support may also be useful after birth.
And the day?
She stays by your side, following the work and the accouchement, unless the pregnancy is complicated. In case of difficulty, she will ask the intervention of the anesthesiologist or the gynecologist.
Diaper suites, baby care, breastfeeding ... the midwife will also answer all your questions after birth.
- It is the midwife who also dispenses first aid to your babyéat birth, then relayed by a pediatric nurse or a pediatrician (if there is a problem).
How to choose?
- How to choose it: the ones who will have the most time to devote themselves exercise in liberal. Some even practice comprehensive support: they follow the entire pregnancy and have access to the technical platform of maternity for delivery. Of course, in the hospital, the skills also exist but they are often related to the availability and thus to the staff of the service. Choose it also according to its specialties. Some practice haptonomy, others prenatal singing, yoga, etc. Some also use homeopathy or acupuncture to relieve their patients.
Next page: Gynecologist-Obstetrician
1 2 3